Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day of School

I set my alarm for 6 a.m. I told the kids I'd start waking them at 7, which would give us plenty of time to get out the door by 7:40.

I had programmed the coffeemaker last night to brew at 6 a.m., so I woke up to the wonderful aroma of coffee. Mmmmmm.... I grabbed my Bible and journal, anticipating that I will be able to do some reading after I get pancakes going. Well, that didn't happen.

As soon as I got the blackberries out of the fridge, Rachel showed up by the stove. "I woke up at 5:30 and couldn't fall back asleep, so I figured, 'What's the use!'" She shrugs her shoulders and has a huge grin on her face. She is tickled pink that she is going to school--"going" being the key word. She understands "going"---to her that means, "not here, at home where it is SOOOO boring." She understands "school"---that would be defined as "work". But I don't believe she understands "going TO school" means that she will be doing SCHOOL AT SCHOOL. She'll fathom that concept soon enough.
Jadon was equally exuberant--he just woke up a bit later. Eli and Solomon did what they had to do to get ready. I looked everybody over to make sure they would give adequate first impressions to the teachers and other kids. I don't care for any of my kids to be slaves to fashion, but I don't want them to look like they got dressed from the dirty laundry basket either. I had them take a Vitamin C and brush their teeth. After they passed inspection I told them we'd be leaving in about ten minutes.

That was all it took for some of them to run out to the vehicle. Here they are, waiting for me.

Solomon waited for me---Cortney took this picture:

After dropping them off and getting them settled into their areas, I took another couple pictures of Jadon. (I spared the other kids the embarrassment.)

Isn't he just adorable?


4 comments:

  1. Too cute! I think they will love it! Even the "work" part of it...for a little while anyway, its a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...what cute pictures and I love your school room set up (well what I can see of it :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jadon IS adorable! I bet it's a lot quieter at your house today. I always loved the first day of school, it was the rest of them I didn't care for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of Jadon!! You can see how excited he is. When ever someone says to that they don't know how I do it, I always want to reply that I don't know how they do it, dealing with the school and the school's schedule/agenda..... I have made the comment once or twice, but only to a few who I knew wouldn't be too offended by it.....
    Love the blog, so glad you're going to try it again.

    ReplyDelete