Saturday, September 20, 2008

Clean Up Day


We live in such a beautiful area and we haven't shared enough pictures of what we get to see almost every day. We are a hop, skip, and jump away from Lake Michigan. Isn't it pretty?
Today we spent our fourth year cleaning up part of the shoreline. Originally, I was invited to help by my family doctor. In turn, I invited the homeschool group to join in as a community service. This year the weather was perfect. It was windy, but not too cold and not too hot. We picked up over 80 lbs. of garbage in a one mile area of shoreline. (What a bunch of pigs we all are, eh?) To be honest, about half of the weight was some sort of trap thing that nobody recognized. Whatever it was, it was very well built and heavy. We also found a rimmed tire and large boat seat cushion.

We pick up along an area that isn't open to public access, so the items we find are what comes in from the lake itself.

The trash items we found the most of were food wrappers and balloons with ribbons. The first year we found a ton of cigarette butts, but this year we only found about 5.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was going to talk devan into this here but spaced the day. You live in a gorgeous area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome that you guys do that. What a great principle you're teaching your children. Kudos to you! I just got done doing a search on a victorio strainer. I think it's going to be on my Christmas wish list. It looks like it would save so much time! I was about ready to pull my hair out by the time I got the grapes picked, off the stems, washed and mashed, and strained as best I could get them. Will it ruin my jelly if there's still a little bit of pulp in with the juice? I'll leave the juice setting tonight, then make the jelly tomorrow to get the crystals out (as suggested in the recipe). I know it's worth it, and it will save us money, but I feel like I'm walking on thin ice with making jelly. (And after eating some of that plum pie... I'm not the person to be walking on thin ice!) Thanks for all of your help!

    ReplyDelete